Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day 3




No planned challenges today. The challenge was to make it through to the end of the day, through Deals Gap 'Tail of the Dragon' which boasts '318 turns in 11 miles'. Motorcyclists love this place, apparently. But, it was a very nice drive. It would have been better in a real car, but whatever. The photo is not from Deals Gap.

Concerns were expressed this morning at the unprecented number of serious mechanical problems people have had. The AMC Matador went down with a head gasket issue. Last I saw that team, they were at the hotel in Newport, setting up to fix it. I am not sure of the others.

But, we finally made it to the hotel, after backtracking through Deals Gap to a scenic turnoff where I think I left behind some GOPRO camera junk. Then back through Deals Gap (with me driving) to continue on. The only thing wrong with the Toyota today was brake lights, which have been replaced. The removal of the grille seems to have helped the engine temp, but it was cool running today, high altitude and near water.

The new GPS site is working more consistently, though today the issue was getting cell reception in the middle of nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment